Mercy Island (Pre-Issue 21)
Villain City Zone (1-8)
|Trainers:||Arbiter Diaz, Arbiter Richard|
|Exploration Badges:||Cesspool, Snake Charmer, Chum, Fortified, The Next Big Thing, Widower, First Rule, Tiki Fan, Thrill Seeker|
|Day Jobs:||Architect, Fashion Designer, Monitor Duty, Marketeer, Pain Specialist, Pilot, Smuggler, Thief|
|Enemies:||Arachnos, Hellions, Infected, Legacy Chain, Longbow, Rogue Island Police, Skulls, Snakes|
|Connecting Zones:||Cap Au Diable, Port Oakes|
|Transits:|| Black Helicopter Line, Rogue Isles Ferry
Mercy Island is the first place a villain goes after escaping from the Breakout tutorial zone, excluding Soldiers of Arachnos (VEATs), who do not go through Breakout. As a beginner-level zone, most of the enemies are levels 1-6.
Here, villains will meet their first contact (Kalinda or Matthew Burke) and begin to make their presence known to the powers that be. They begin in an area called Fort Darwin, which also plays home to their first trainer: Arbiter Diaz. They'll likely spend their first five to six levels running missions out of here before picking up a new contact to the southwest. They tangle with large numbers of snakes, breaking the back of that group (at least on Mercy Island). Later missions take them to the area to the south called Fort Cerberus.
(Copied from City of Heroes official Web site )
In the days before Arachnos, Mercy was a lone town resting on the low banks of a large island. It was home to some fishing outfits and more than a few wintering pirates, but frequent disappearances and tales of bizarre snake-like creatures kept the population to a minimum.
Lord Recluse claimed this lonely spot of land shortly after his rise to power. Fort Cerberus was erected and patrols dispatched to discover the truth of these “snake-men.” The creatures were found in great numbers, but Arachnos’s overwhelming firepower quickly pushed them back into their warrens. Over the next decade, Mercy grew and the snake-men were forgotten. They were far from dead, however. They had simply retreated deeper into the bowels of the earth. Lord Recluse knew full well the “Snakes” remained, but he was content to leave a few survivors for future study and possible use in his plans of world conquest.
The Rikti War and the many opportunities it presented changed Recluse’s focus in the new millennium. The Snakes were forgotten and allowed to multiply. A year after the Rikti defeat, they rose from their warrens and rampaged through Mercy. Arachnos repulsed the mutants, but Lord Recluse mysteriously—and quietly—left the lower end of the island to the Snakes. The creatures had proved quite powerful, and he felt they could be studied and put to use in many of his secret operations.
The Snake-infested area of Mercy also provided Lord Recluse with another useful purpose—a proving ground for super-powered beings. Those with promise are brought here and tested with a series of tasks to determine whether they have what it takes to survive. Those who do are tracked for possible recruitment into Arachnos’ ranks. Those who don’t are left to fend for themselves, becoming prey to the stronger.
- Level 1-4
- Kalinda (Fort Darwin: -4159.2, 159.1, -2984.5)
- Matthew Burke (Fort Darwin: -3627.8, 65.6, -2843)
- └►(Doctor Creed)
- Level 5-9
- Mongoose (Darwin's Landing: -1182.5, 96, -394.5)
- Doctor Creed (Darwin's Landing: -1888.2, 96.2, -1576.4)
- Level 15-19
- Seer Marino (Fort Cerberus: -3045.6, 175.8, 1329.5)
- Darwin's Landing, the large neighborhood that forms most of the northern part of the zone, contains Doctor Creed and Mongoose. The Fortunata Fateweaver who adjusts a villain's notoriety in this zone is located under the clocktower at the Darwin's Landing marker. (Yellow - Level 1-4) (Music)
- Fort Cerberus is the small Arachnos fort in the southeastern part of the zone. Ghost Widow's tower is located in this zone; Seer Marino is also located here, in addition to the Black Helicopter Line to Cap au Diable. (Red - Level 6-8) (Music)
- Fort Darwin is the north-eastern fort where a villain starts their career in the Rogue Isles; it contains Kalinda, Arbiter Diaz, Matthew Burke and Alan Desslock. The Mercy Island Hospital is located here. (Green) (Music)
- Mercy is the neighborhood south of the wall that, along with Darwin's Landing, forms most of the island; it contains Arbiter Richard. The Mercy Island Arachnos Headquarters is located in the building behind Arbiter Richard. A Black Market truck is located between the doors to the Port Oakes Ferry and the doors to Fort Cerberus. (Orange - Level 5-8) (Music)
Many would-be Villains have drunk their fill from the cesspool in hopes it might grant super power. Mostly they go insane.
| Snake Charmer|
This is the main entrance to the Snakes' underground lair. You really don't want to go down there.
Just when you thought it was safe...
| The Next Big Thing|
This is the good life. The higher up you get, the bigger you are.
| First Rule|
| Tiki Fan|
Larry's Tiki Lounge is known for its gambling, drinks, fun, and Tikis. And also for the occasional invasion by giant snake monsters.
| Thrill Seeker|
You're always looking for new forms of entertainment, and it's said that the Mission Architect technology is entertainment in its purest form.
You have learned much that is hidden from the eyes of mortal men.
- Lorekeeper I - This monument is right up against the wall that splits the zone between Darwin's Landing and Mercy. It is 90 yards west of Mongoose. Coordinates (-907, 97, -377)
Your study of the Mission Architect system has earned you the Architect Day Job. Logging out in the Mission Architect will earn you 2 bonus Mission Architect Tickets, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Fashion Designer|
You spend your free time perfecting your costume earning the Fashion Designer Day Job. Logging out at a Tailor will earn you a discount to Tailor fees, when you log back in, for a short time.
| Monitor Duty|
Your time spent protecting your Supergroup's base has earned you the Monitor Duty Day Job. Logging out in your Supergroup base will earn you a Prestige bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Pain Specialist|
Your expertise in surgery and understanding pain has earned you the Pain Specialist Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
Your time spent staging heists on the various financial institutions of the Rogue Isles has earned you the Thief Day Job. Logging out in a Vault will earn you an Infamy Bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
Your time spent supplying the Black Market has earned you the Marketeer Day Job. Logging out near a Black Market will grant you a power that will allow you to teleport to a Black Market of your choice, when you log back in.
You have aided Arachnos by piloting its fliers, helping Lord Recluse better mobilize his troops, earning you the Pilot Day Job. Logging out near a Black Helicopter will earn you a Speed Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
You spend your free time smuggling in illicit black market goods earning you the Smuggler Day Job. Logging out near a ferry will earn you a random enhancement, upon each mission completion, for a short time.
You have spent a great deal of time working in the hospitals of Paragon City during your free time earning the Caregiver Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
Your time spent working with the financial institutions of Paragon City during your free time has earned you the Banker Day Job. Logging out in a Vault will earn you an Influence Bonus, when you log back, in each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Day Trader|
Your time spent working at Wentworth's has earned you the Day Trader Day Job. Logging out in Wentworth's will grant you a power that will allow you to teleport to an Auction House of your choice, when you log in.
Arachnos is more likely to pound you into dust than let you near one of their fliers. And your license is no good in Paragon City, it seems.
You've scored the biggest coup of all; smuggling directly into Paragon City. Unfortunately, it's a long round-trip.
- All Quartermasters sell Levels 5, 10, and 15 TO Enhancements
- Alan Desslock sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Kalinda sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Matthew Burke sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Doctor Creed sells Levels 1, 5, and 10 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Mongoose sells Levels 1, 5, and 10 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Seer Marino sells Levels 10 and 15 TO Enhancements, Level 20 Magic/Mutant DO Enhancements, and Small Inspirations
- There is a ferry south of the Mercy neighborhood that takes a villain to the Port Oakes zone.
- The Black Helicopter Line, located in the Fort Cerberus neighborhood, takes villains to Cap au Diable.
- There is also a helicopter in the Fort Darwin zone close to Kalinda that will allow a villain to move between Mercy Island instances, if there is more than one.