A Level Shift is a feature of the Incarnate System that is roughly equivalent to increasing a character's Combat Level. A level 50 character with one Level Shift, for instance, will effectively be fighting as though they were sidekicked to level 51. In visual displays, this is shown as being Level 50+X, where X is the number of shifts granted the character. In addition to the character itself, any pets or even NPC allies will spawn with the Level Shift as well.
Difference from Security/Threat Level
Level Shifts do not actually increase the character's Security/Threat Level. For example, when one Level Shift is present, it will show that the character is level 50 (+1). While this is equivalent to Combat Level 51 for the purposes of combat, all other aspects of the game that depend on character level are still calculated for Security/Threat Level 50. This includes rewards (a level 50 (+1) character fighting level 51 enemies will receive the same Inf as a level 50 character fighting level 51 enemies) and any sidekicking (a character sidekicked to a level 50 (+1) character will be Combat Level 49).
Level Shifts can stack with other Incarnate Shifts and Level Shifts; a character with a Level Shift from the Alpha Slot, and two Incarnate Shifts from the Lore and Destiny Slots would appear as level 50 (+3), effectively being Combat Level 53.
Sources of Level Shifts
The following are ways that a level shift can be applied to a character:
- (+1) Slotting any Rare or Very Rare Alpha Ability
- (+1) Using an Ultimate Inspiration
- (-4) Participating in the Tin Mage Task Force or Apex Task Force with no Alpha Ability slotted
| Editor's Note:|
NPC Level Shifts
While enemies are normally level 54 at maximum, in certain Incarnate Trials, some may gain Level Shifts to pose more of a threat to Incarnate players:
- The Extinction War Walker, Self Repairing War Walker and Lichen-Infested Extinction War Walker from the The Underground Trial spawn at level 54(+1)
- The Avatar of Hamidon from the The Underground Trial spawns at level 54(+2)
- Maelstrom from the TPN Campus Trial spawns at level 54(+2)
- All Archvillains (and Bosses in the final phase) from the Minds of Mayhem Trial spawn at level 54(+2)
- All enemies from the Dilemma Diabolique Trial spawns at level 54(+2), except for Archvillains and Heroes who spawns at level 54(+3)
- During the Magisterium Trial, Chimera, Nega-Pendragon, Shadowhunter and Black Swan spawn at level 54(+2). Tyrant spawns at level 54(+5) until he loses the favor of the Well, upon which he will be subjected to negative Level Shifts, turning him into 54(-8)