Halloween Event 2010
The Halloween Event is a suite of gaming tasks and visuals that are reminiscent of the Halloween holiday season. This includes Trick or Treating, costumes, monsters, ghosts, witches, and horror movie cliches such as a Zombie Apocalypse.
The 2010 Event is scheduled:
- to start Thursday, October 21, 9 AM Pacific Time
- to end Sunday, October 31, 11:59 PM PT (in most other zones, early Monday morning, November 1).
New in 2010
- More temporary costume powers.
- The Event will run in Praetoria as well as the other cities.
- An NPC costume slot unlock contact, Acantha, in Praetoria.
- A special Halloween tip mission which can grant up to five new badges.
- The spawn rate for Jack in Irons has been increased (it is unknown by how much)
Whispered Rumor Tip Mission
- When a character goes Trick or Treating in a Temporary Costume (whether gained from a 'Treat' or a permanently bestowed one such as from attending a convention), there is a chance of a Halloween Tip Mission dropping from a 'Treat'.
- This Halloween Event Tip will drop even if you already have 3 Alignment Mission Tips.
- Testing has indicated that you need to be Level 20+ and not in Praetoria to get this Tip. No official word whether that is working as intended.
- The Tip is entitled Whispered Rumor and has a jack-o'-lantern picture on it.
- The Halloween Tip Mission grants some minor rewards plus one of five badges:
You have kept the Malleus Mundi secure the best way you know how, by securing it yourself.
| Power Hungry|
The Malleus Mundi has real power, and you've tapped into some of its potential.
| Artifact Destroyer|
You have gone about the proper ritual to destroy the Malleus Mundi, but you are unsure if it is truly gone.
You have done your best to hide the Malleus Mundi in a place where it can never be found.
Selling the Malleus Mundi to the highest bidder is a choice that may come back to haunt you.
- Collecting all five Halloween Tip Missions badges grants the Meticulous accolade, which in turn unlocks the Witch's Hat.
You are not tied to any single decision, and must pursue every course of action available to determine the consequences.
Random NPC chat outside the mission:
- [NPC] Desiree: What did Character do with the Malleus Mundi?!
- Main Article: Deadly Apocalypse
The Deadly Apocalypse is a type of zone invasion introduced in the Halloween Event of 2009. Haunting Banners representing iconic horrors appear in a zone and are protected by foes that embody that banner's horror. Players must attack the defenders and then the Banners and then finally a Giant Monster. Rewards include badges and a selection of temporary powers.
During the event, the entire game is locked in nighttime mode. This is not just a visual effect. All aspects of the game that depend on a day/night cycle are locked to the night side during the event. Enemies that only spawn at night spawn continuously during the event. Banisher, The Slayer, and Haunted badges (Hero side) and Pirate and Spectral badges (Villain side) are examples of badges for which hunting will be much easier during the event.
- Main Article: Zombie Apocalypse
The Zombie Apocalypse is a zone event that uses the Rikti World Invasion engine; random zones throughout the game come under attack by zombies for periods of time as the sky turns red. A new enemy group, Zombies, appear during this event. There are badges for Zombie defeats and an unlockable costume piece, the Pumpkin Head.
Trick or Treat
- Main Article: Trick or Treat
During this event, players are be able to 'Trick or Treat' by knocking (that is, 'clicking') on mission doors in the various zones. Treats are rewards which include Temporary Powers (a throwable Rock and Costume Powers), Tier 1 inspirations, and Halloween Event Salvage (from defeating the spawned 'Tricks') which can be traded in for an extra costume slot. Tricks include spawns of special event enemies for which there are defeat badges.
- Main Article: Giant Monsters
The Giant Monsters from Croatoa, Eochai and Jack in Irons, spawn in most zones (including the City of Villains zones) along with the Unseelie spirits. There are Halloween-specific badges for their defeat (which are different than the badges for the defeat of the regular Croatoan Eochai and Jack Giant Monsters).
Event Salvage & Extra Costume Slot
- Main Article: Trick or Treating
Special Event Salvage drops from defeating spawned 'Tricks' can be traded in for an extra Costume Slot.
Temporary Powers and Inspirations
By Trick or Treating, you can collect the Rock and Costume Temporary Powers and also get Tier 1 inspiration drops. By participating in the Deadly Apocalypse, you can collect other Temporary Powers or a Tier 2 inspiration drop.
Badges & Costume Piece
- Main Article: Halloween Badges
There are badges for defeating the Giant Monsters and their Unseelie companions; for defeating the enemies that spawn as Trick or Treat 'tricks'; for collecting Temporary Costumes; for defeating the Zombies of the Zombie Apocalypse; and for defeating each of the Haunting Banners and the Greater Mystic Aspect (Giant Monster). One of the Zombie Apocalypse badges unlocks a Pumpkin Head costume piece.
- Testing for this event started on October 15, 2010 and ran continuously up to and during the Live Halloween Event.