Halloween Event 2008
The event was scheduled to run from October 20th through November 2nd, but actually started earlier, on the evening of Saturday, October 18, 2008, as a surprise. 
The Halloween Event is a suite of gaming tasks and visuals that are reminiscent of the Halloween holiday season. This includes Trick or Treating, costumes, monsters, ghosts, witches, and horror movie cliches such as a Zombie Apocalypse.
New in 2008
- The Zombie Apocalypse is new in 2008. It includes new enemies, badges, and an unlockable player costume piece, the Pumpkin Head.
- The door timers for the Trick or Treat game have been shortened to 10 seconds for a character so they can 'knock' more often, but the cool down for a particular door for a character has been raised to five minutes to keep players moving from door to door... just like real Trick or Treating.
- The Tier 3 Inspiration Treats have been replaced by Tier 1 and 2 by the developers intentionally -- presumably to prevent Tier 3 hoarding since more doors can be knocked versus previous years.
- The list of zones in which the event is active has grown (see the Trick or Treat section below for a full list).
Bugs in 2008
Spirit spawning was bugged in the 2008 event. They were spawning very rarely. 
Bloody Bay was bugged. It appears to be set to allow trick or treating for levels 10-20, but since all characters entering the zone are Sidekicked/Exemplared to level 25, they are no longer in the level range for trick or treating.
During the event, the entire game is locked in nighttime mode. This is not just a visual effect. All aspects of the game that depend on a day/night cycle are locked to the night side during the event. Enemies that only spawn at night spawn continuously during the event. Banisher, The Slayer, and Haunted badges (Hero side) and Pirate and Spectral badges (Villain side) are examples of badges for which hunting will be much easier during the event.
- Main Article: Zombie Apocalypse
The Zombie Apocalypse is a zone event that uses the Rikti World Invasion engine; random zones throughout the game come under attack by zombies for periods of time as the sky turns red. A new enemy group, Zombies, appear during this event. There are badges for Zombie defeats and an unlockable costume piece, the Pumpkin Head.
Trick or Treat
- Main Article: Trick or Treat
During this event, players are be able to 'Trick or Treat' by knocking (that is, 'clicking') on mission doors in the various zones. Treats are rewards which include Temporary Powers (a throwable Rock and Costume Powers), Tier 1 & 2 inspirations, and Halloween Event Salvage which can be traded in for an extra costume slot. Tricks include spawns of special event enemies for which there are defeat badges.
- Main Article: Giant Monsters
The Giant Monsters from Croatoa, Eochai and Jack in Irons spawn in most zones (including the City of Villains zones) along with the Unseelie spirits. There are Halloween-specific badges for their defeat (which are different than the badges for the defeat of the regular Croatoan Eochai and Jack Giant Monsters).
Event Salvage & Extra Costume Slot
- Main Article: Trick or Treating
Special Event Salvage drops can be traded in for an extra Costume Slot.
Temporary Powers and Inspirations
- Main Article: Trick or Treating
By Trick or Treating, you can collect the Rock and Costume Temporary Powers and also get Tier 1 & 2 inspiration drops.
Badges & Costume Piece
- Main Article: Halloween Badges
There are badges for defeating the Giant Monsters and their Unseelie companions; for defeating the enemies that spawn as Trick or Treat 'tricks'; for collecting Temporary Costumes; and for defeating the Zombies of the Zombie Apocalypse. One of the Zombie Apocalypse badges unlocks a Pumpkin Head costume piece.
- Testing for this event was on July 31st from 4:30-6pm Eastern