"Easter Egg" is the slang term used to describe a hidden message or feature in an object such as a movie, CD, DVD, computer program, video game, or other computer related product. The "City of" franchise has many easter eggs hidden within it.
Many of what at first seem to be Easter Eggs are in fact Ingame References and can be found there.
- A photo of the City of Heroes beta design team can be found behind the nurse's counter in most hospitals.
- In Mercy Island prior to the launch of the Black Market, a suspiciously familiar 1980's Freightliner cabover semi could be seen parked, at location 2078.5 239.1 990.5. It was later replaced by the standard Black Market truck, which is colored blue (like Powered Convoy), has a changed license plate that no longer begins with "OP," and lacks the stripe on the closed side of its trailer. Note that the trucks parked at Wentworths in hero zones have the same new cab as the Black Market trucks, but retain the striped trailers of the original.
- In the Hellforge neighborhood of Sharkhead Isle, Hellforge is a three-dimensional representation of the old Cryptic Studios logo.
- In Grandville deep in the tunnels under the zone at coordinates 2420, -672, -1200, can be found a Developer's Dungeon, with cubes for most of the design team. The nearest entry to the tunnels is at 3335, -545, 1046.
- In the Northwest part of St. Martial there is a skeleton that appears as if it is being hanged from the large tree. If the camera view gets too close, the skeleton disappears.
- In Wentworths' back storage room, there are pinball machines with the City of Heroes splash page on the back.
- In the extreme southwest corner of Cap au Diable, there is a small island with a palm tree, a life preserver, and a skeleton.
- In the extreme northwest corner of Monster Island, there is a Cast Away tribute; A small island with a palm tree, a character named Charlie Newland, and a soccer ball named Spaulding.
See Ingame References.
Sometime before April 2005, a couple of powers were added to the pigg files. Based upon Positron's post regarding the 2006 Jester badge image, they were probably just added as an April Fool's joke on the people who went looking into the pigg data files.
Toy Bat Minor Smash damage (Special)
This bat is covered with a soft foam-like material cushioning its impact. The toy bat does Trivial damage to villains, but can also be used against allies for no damage. And lets face it, some of your 'friends' deserve it. Damage (Villains Only): Trivial, Recharge: Very Fast.
BadgesPositron revealed the joke by saying:
April's Fool never being gettable IS the joke. It was put into the files as a joke badge that was never going to be given out. There is no honest way to get this badge, and there was never anything planned, either. The only way to get the badge is to be a dev and use a special command, and even then, it doesn't last upon zoning.Egg Hunter Badge can be found inside the Cryptic Lounge, a small room hidden in Faultline.
The Dice7 emote is unlocked by earning the Burkholder's Bane Badge for Heroes.